Wednesday 29 June 2011

My Six Hat Experience

Learning Edward De Bono's six hat thinking has been such a valuable experience for me. For years I have very much enjoyed debating, but after learning six hats I have come to realise that most debates just run on feelings with no facts or information on the subject. People who are loud and articulate with strong emotional responses to the debate topic will always come through. The reason Six Hats is so important to be taught in a class room environment is that for a start it encourages people to use all of there brain, to really stretch themselves and to go out and inform themselves on the topic. Also this is a much less aggressive form of debate, the pupils who are quiet and never usually speak up, the people who are actually probably terrified to put themselves in the firing line and get involved in a debate are much more inclined to get involved in the less volatile setting of a Six Hat debate. I used Six Hat thinking to help me pick my final University choice, and it really helps to organise your thoughts and not be overcome by my emotions while still giving me room for emotion. It also gave me a reason to go and find out about all the info I needed and compare it, info like rent, grants for different universities, how expensive the areas is etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment